Search This Blog

Friday 22 May 2009

A Vist With Our Niece's Family

We went to see Becki and Andrew, and their two young daughters, Clarissa and Ellie.


Andrew came home unharmed from the first Gulf War and gave me a 250 dinar note with a picture of Saddam Hussein.


Andrew fixes us bourbon and branch water and tells me about a local chicken franchise guy who is buying a million dinars in Iraq currency every week on speculation. The bank charges him $40 as a fee. so for $1040 he gets a million dinars .


I ask Andrew how many Iraqi dinars it takes to buy a Big Mac. He does a quick calculation and tells me 4,000. The dinar may rise again. I'm surprised that Saddam's dinars and picture are still the local currency.


Andrew blows up a portable water slide and grills Texas steaks. A very enjoyable visit. Nice to see young relatives doing well in a difficult time.


No comments:

Post a Comment