Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 July 2009

A Perfect Day for Bananafish?

Gold Beach, Oregon - Population 2,016

The Rogue river empties into the Pacific Ocean here. We're camped near the river and the ocean. You can hear the waves at night on the beach and smell the ocean. The beach is littered with driftwood and agates.


We made a trip in the Toyota back to the South to visit some of the State Parks and ocean overlooks that were inaccessible in the RV.

A couple of outfitters, miles inland, run raft trips (or rent inflatable kayaks) for trips down the Rogue. We daydream about it for Thursday before we move on to Coos Bay.

This flower is in the thick woods and ferns on the high hills overlooking the coast.

Our book shelves are full again. In the afternoon we go to the Gold Beach public library. Mrs Phred tells me that book donations are being accepted in the old library on Corvin street. A lady hears her talking to me and says that the book sale is on Saturday. She is here to pick up donations for the sale. I promise to bring my books. A verbal promise must be kept. It is the glue that holds the fabric of society together, so we fill three big shopping bags with books and drop them off. It's a mixed bag, some excellent and very current. Some not so good...the way of all books.

These flowers are growing on a large rock, surrounded by the Pacific Ocean.

Almonds and parsley are always a good bet with delicate white fish.

2 rockfish fillets
1/4 c. slivered almonds
1/8 c. minced parsley
1/8 c. melted butter
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper

Place fish fillets in shallow baking dish. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley. Combine butter and lime juice; pour over fish and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven 10 minutes, uncovered, until fish flakes easily with a fork, about 10 minutes. Serves 2.

We make a trip to the store in the afternoon for slivered almonds, parsley, limes and Australian shiraz. I repair the tow wires once again. The generator oil is at the "add oil" point. I top it off. We'll probably change it back in Florida in November.



"I see you're looking at my feet," he said to her when the car was in motion.
"I beg your pardon?" said the woman.
"I said I see you're looking at my feet."
"I beg your pardon. I happened to be looking at the floor," said the woman, and faced the doors of the car.
"If you want to look at my feet, say so," said the young man. "But don't be a God-damned sneak about it."
"Let me out here, please," the woman said quickly to the girl operating the car.
The car doors opened and the woman got out without looking back.
"I have two normal feet and I can't see the slightest God-damned reason why anybody should stare at them," said the young man. "Five, please." He took his room key out of his robe pocket.
- J.D. Salinger, "A Perfect Day for Bananafish"




No comments:

Post a Comment