Search This Blog

Thursday 20 September 2007

Will you still need me?

Charlottesville, Virginia

When I get older losing my hair
Many years from now
Will you still be sending me a valentine
Birthday greetings, bottle of wine?
If I'd been out till quarter to three
Would you lock the door?
Will you still need me, will you still feed me
When I'm sixty-four?


We had dinner outdoors last nignt in the Clarkesville pedestrian mall. I had a glass of Spanish savignon blanc and a margarita along with sea scallops in a corn sauce. We coudn't agree on a movie so we went to look at the lovely University of Virginia campus (not the one where 32 students were massacred this year). They have an astronomy department.

It’s 4:39 AM. The earth has now officially completed 64 complete revolutions (give or take a few adjustments for leap years). The sky is bright with stars. A shooting star flashes though Orion, providing an unexpected birthday greeting. Depending on what you believe, the sun has completed 4 billion or 4 thousand revolutions since it coalesced or was created.

Data is coming in that our small galaxy may contain a trillion planets. Backyard and professional astronomers are catching data points as characteristic dimming of light output as planets pass in front of stars in the nearby neighborhood. If there is no other life in the galaxy, it’s certainly was a profligate use of raw material.

We go to see the homes of Madison, Jefferson and Monroe today. They were all close neighbors. The Woodrow Wilson presidential libary is close by, which will bring us closer to our quest to collect all the American presidents. Inevitably, down the line, we will have to go see "W"s library. Maybe he will be humble like Truman and greet visitors? No. Probably not.

A picture of the visitor locations on my blog reveals ony one lonely dot from Russia. A lot of the dots come from my own visits as we move around. (Click to enlarge map)

The hits on my blog result from some fairly amusing search terms. One browser wants to know if he can use JB Weld to repair his dentures. Another wants a report on James Oglethorpe by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment