Search This Blog

Sunday 2 September 2007

WFD Discovered in Arkansas

Lake Norfork, Arkansas

At 4:45 AM Mrs. Phred and I tiptoed down the driveway to set up our lawn chairs. We drank our coffee and stared up from the deserted country road at Capella in the constellation Aurigid. Venus and the Sun rose at about 6 AM. We find we are a little too far East to catch the meteor shower caused by the long tail of the Comet Kiess. Kiess swung by about 83 B.C and again in 1911. The tail it left behind intersected our orbit this morning at about 4:36 AM PDT. It will not happen again in our lifetimes.


In the morning we had a wood-chipping and garage cleaning session. As we sifted though layers of debris in the three-car garage, we discovered many strange and exotic artifacts.



Water Flotation Devices were spotted deployed in actual use in Lake Norfork, Arkansas yesterday afternoon. The locals refer to these strange objects as "noodles".


I got to go diving in the lake. I was weighted for salt-water diving and didn't bother to reweight for the less buoyant fresh water. I saw a few striped bass. The water got much colder at depth. My 25 year old buoyancy control device blew out while I was 50 feet down and wouldn't retain any air. I didn't want to leave my weights behind, but I was much too heavily weighted to swim up. So I went hand-over-hand along the rocky bottom to the shore, dropped off my weights and swam back to the boat.


They let me drive a jet sky later. I only fell off once, while trying to do a 180 top speed turn on a dime.


Paul's 8-week diet was over, so we all had 2 pound chunks of prime rib, baked potato with butter and sour cream and blueberry cobbler with ice cream in the evening to celebrate. A nice day...time to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment