Search This Blog

Friday 20 February 2009

The Last Dive?

Palm Beach, Florida

It's just not so easy anymore. Sure, the corals, Loggerhead turtles, Moray eels and big stingrays are still pretty. Getting back on the boat is increasingly difficult.


The ladder is crashing into my chest and then banging back into the boat as the waves bob the dive boat in the five foot seas. These guys follow the theory that you should climb the bobbing ladder with all your gear, including your fins.

Ever try climbing a wildly gyrating ladder with swim fins and 80 pounds of lead weights and SCUBA gear? It used to be so easy. Now at 65 and 40 pounds over-weight to begin with, I'm sort of limited out. I'm pushing 300 pounds up the ladder.

I drove over to Palm Beach yesterday with Bruce and Gordon. The dives were everything you could want, drifting along the reef in the Gulf Stream current at 60 feet. I'm just not sure that what I could do easily at 55 will be feasible at 75.

Maybe I'll try some beach dives or some of the Florida Springs that don't involve ladders. It would be embarrassing not to be able to climb up a ladder.

1 comment:

  1. Suck it up! Not many people get a chance to explore the underside of the coin...."catch you on the flip side".......TLB

    ReplyDelete