Search This Blog

Friday 11 February 2011

I, Robot (lacking free will)

 I'm listening to a three CD set called "This is Psychedelia". It starts with "White Rabbit" and gets better...a good recommendation from a friend....



“Don’t worry,” I said. “Are you ready?” I hit the “play” button and “White Rabbit” started building again. Almost immediately he began to howl and moan...another fast run up that mountain, and thinking, this time, that he would finally get over the top. His eyes were gripped shut and only his head and both kneecaps poked up through the oily green water.

I let the song build while I sorted through the pile of fat ripe grapefruit next to the basin. The biggest one of the lot weighed almost two pounds. I got a good Vida Blue fastball grip on the fucker—and just as “White Rabbit” peaked I lashed it into the tub like a cannonball.

My attorney screamed crazily, thrashing around in the tub like a shark after meat, churning water all over the floor as he struggled to get hold of something.. (Hunter S Thompson)

Mrs. Phred asks me a strange question: "If you were a robot and I knew it and you didn't, would you want me to tell you?"

"You know something, I don't?", I ask her.

"Have you ever injured a human being, or, through inaction, allowed a human being to come to harm?", she says.

"No, I don't think so. I got into Air Force cargo planes instead of bombers on purpose."



"Have you always obeyed the orders given by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law?", she wonders?

"Sometimes I'm evasive, but yes...I have always followed orders...most humans are kind and wise."



"Have you always protected your own existence as long as such protection did not conflict with the First or Second Law?" she asks with finality.

"Yes, I've always attempted to escape death and injury except when I needed to accept some risk to protect others."

"There you have it" she says, "You're bound by the three laws of robotics. You lack free will."



" I'm voting for Obama again in 2012", I tell her.





2 comments:

  1. hmmmmmmm so it was mrs phred who asked all these questions?????? sil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let OBama stay in the WHouse!

    ReplyDelete