Search This Blog

Friday 19 January 2007

Winter Wonderland

Sedona, Arizona – January 19, 2007

It’s lovely outside. Heavy snowflakes are coming down. The road into Sedona from Flagstaff is 30 miles of switchbacks as the elevation drops from 7500 feet to only 5000.


This is one of the most scenic areas in America. The people here seem to be all thin, fit, well-heeled, attractively dressed and intelligent looking. I feel out of place. They are definitely not typical American Wal-Mart people. The houses here are striking.

The local grocery store has a Starbucks section and four isles of fine wine. I feel smug that I don’t buy bottled water or $5 coffee, but in an amazing coincidence my old business partner sends me a Starbucks gift card today for sending him a new client.

Denny Doherty died today. Only one of the four members of “Mammas and Pappas” group is now still alive. I listened to “California Dreamin’” in early 1966 on a radio in Air Force Officer Training School while making up my bunk at 0430. I always liked that song.

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
I've been for a walk
On a winter's day

Princess Firecloud and I went on a lovely hike today. We started near an imposing chapel built into the mountains. When it rains here the hiking trails turn into very difficult red mud.

The local businesses include many fine restaurants, psychics, vortex advisors, purveyors of magic crystals, Hyatt time shares, and art gallerys.

Here are a bunch of Sedona Pictures..way too many...when the sun is out the red rock spires are magnificent...it was cloudy today so I punched up the pictures with Google's Picassa....

No comments:

Post a Comment