Search This Blog

Saturday 15 December 2012

Interesting Choices

Northern Thailand

Mrs. Phred lost a tennis shoe when she was washed overboard on a raft trip with me. She lost the right shoe. She showed me the left shoe and asked if I thought she should keep it. I told her that I thought she should keep it in case a future foot amputation, but that she should hope that they did not cut off her left foot because then the shoe would be obviously worthless.


 We have been together since I met her at a 1965 cast party in Tallahassee. The play was "A Man For All Seasons". This was about Sir Thomas More and his silence with regard to the legitimacy of Henry the VIII's plan to divorce his wife in the hope of siring a male heir.

We left the party together and walked the streets until sunrise telling each other stories. She told me about being thrown in jail in Tallahassee for sitting at a table with a black man in the Dobb's House restaurant earlier that year....interesting!...I thought...

Then she told me the story about disrupting the New York World's fair in 1964. She was thrown in jail (The Tombs) again after leading a peaceful demonstration. Her arrest was covered by the New York Times and all three National networks.

She's been a good dive buddy and tennis partner. An interesting choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment