Search This Blog

Sunday 14 October 2007

Retirement Anomie (part 2)

Ok. So here we are in Florida. It’s October. The Gulf Stream water temperature is 82 F.

For the last six years, the only time I went SCUBA diving was when I went to Puerto Rico in September to work on prepping an affiliate for audit. Then I would do 4 to 8 wall dives down in the sleepy fishing village of Parguera with Captain Angel.

Last year I had the pleasure of taking my son down to Puerto Rico. He wisely decided to snorkel and swim at the dive site (he hadn't dived for 20 years and he had six children hoping he would come back).

So, in the grand scheme of things, why not spend the next two months diving in the SCUBA Mecca’s of Palm Beach and the Keys. What is retirement all about, anyway?

My 1985 gear has gotten me though a lot of dives, but the pieces have been failing. The face mask fell apart in Puerto Rico last year. The buoyancy control device (BCD) blew out in Arkansas. The fin straps broke in Key West.\

Your gear keeps you alive 150 feet down. I think I need new regulators, new fins, a compass that works and a new BCD. I don’t really trust the old stuff anymore.

No…I’m not going to buy a dive computer. Real divers refer to their plastic dive table cards. I’ve done maybe 1800 open water dives. I’m a certified PADI Dive master. I should be diving more.

Back in the day, I always got more mileage and time out of my tank than the younger divers. Last year that wasn’t true. 51 years of heavy smoking is beginning to outweigh a relaxed frame of mind in terms of air consumption

That’s my take on the meaning of life. It should get us though a few months.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bro, after reading backwards for a while, I had to reply,"your post has been great reading, David

    ReplyDelete