Search This Blog

Monday 4 December 2006

Saint Joseph‘s Peninsula State Park, Florida...On the Beach


This park is on the “forgotten coast” of Florida’s panhandle. The uninhabited peninsula curves nearly 30 miles into the Gulf of Mexico. The last ten miles are white sand dunes, pines, beach and marsh. Shells litter the beach.

I’m trying to detox. It’s been four days since I’ve had any tobacco or alcohol. To compensate, we hang out here and take long walks on the beach. The beach stretches a long way.

Quitting is easy. I’ve done it hundreds of times. The hard part is not starting again.

At 5 AM yesterday morning the full moon sank into the Gulf to the west. I took the tripod to the beach and got some interesting moon set shots.

The nearest town to the east is Apalachicola. It’s always been a small commercial fishing village. We went to a small fish market and bought flounder for dinner yesterday. The flounder was very fresh and very good.


To the west is the town of St. Joe and its paper mills. The town smells bad but it has a tennis court which is empty. All the cars are parked at the churches. I lost 6-1, 6-0. It’s nice to be able to wrap my hand around the racket easily once again after the operation for the Dupuytren’s contracture last month.

I put on my old fins and have a long swim before dinner. It’s not uncomfortable, but I prefer warmer water.

This is the home of the endangered St. Andrews beach mouse. Some 240 species of migratory seabirds have been identified here and the wildflowers provide food for the amazing migrating Monarch butterflies.


1 comment:

  1. Is that Ursula Andress I see before me? :-)

    Beautiful pictures Phred! Stunning.

    ReplyDelete