Search This Blog

Sunday 8 September 2019

My Early TV Career

Channel 38 started broadcasting a UHF TV signal in Tampa in 1953. The TVs were full of tubes that you could remove and test in the local drugstore. The TVs only were designed for VHF so you needed a UHF adapter to get channel 38.


Captain Mac was the first kid's TV program in Tampa. The program had a contest for the best (name redacted) ginger ale poem so I wrote one and got on TV with Captain Mac to read it. I was ten.


Here is my best poetry:

Would you like some (name redacted)? Oh Boy! Is it good!
It's the only cold drink mellowed four years in wood.
It's delicious, nutritious..has vitamins too.
It's mineral packed with calories few.
I meant what I said and I said what I meant.
(name redacted) is good...one hundred percent.

So I won a green (name redacted) ginger ale picnic cooler and a case of (name redacted) ginger ale. in glass deposit bottles

We didn't like the taste. We tried it with ice cream as a float and with Seagram's 7 whiskey. Nobody could drink straight or as a mixer it so we poured it out. I took the bottles to the local Kwik Check grocery store and traded them for a watermelon. We liked the cooler.

Well, I used to wake the mornin'
Before the rooster crowed
Searchin' for soda bottles
To get myself some dough
Brought 'em down to the corner
Down to the country store
Cash 'em in, and give my money
To a man named Curtis Loew
Old Curt was a black man
With white curly hair
When he had a fifth of wine
He did not have a care
He used to own an old Dobro
Used to play it 'cross his knee
I'd give old Curt my money
He'd play all day for me
-Lynyrd Skynyrd






No comments:

Post a Comment